- Milk Prices & Contracts
- Dairy Sales & Consumption
- Supply & Production
- Processing & Trade
- Farming Data
- Farm Expenses
UK Milk Utilisation
Published 9 October 14
- Milk utilised for liquid stood at 590m litres in August 2014, an increase of 24m litres (4.2%) compared with the same month last year. Milk for cheese utilisation was 320m litres in August 2014 which was 10m litres (3.1%) up on August last year.
- Cream utilisation was up by 3.0% on August last year to 24m litres, while yogurt utilisation was up by 2.6% to 27m litres.
- Butter utilisation in August was down on last year's figure by 14.3% at 20m litres.
|Million Litres||Milk Used for Liquid||Milk for Products||Butter||Cheese||Cream||Yogurt|
|% change v June 2013||4.2%||7.8%||-14.3%||3.1%||3.0%||2.6%|
|% change YTD v 2013||3.7%||14.3%||-2.1%||8.3%||3.9%||2.6%|
Please note this data is provisional and subject to change
** NOTE that the reported percentage change may differ due to rounding.
Utilisation of Milk 2013/14
In 2013/14 (when compared with the previous year):
- More milk was utilised in the manufacture of liquid, butter, cheese and cream and more went into condensed milk, powders and yogurts.
- Less milk went into stock change and wastage.
Provisional figures for the 2013/14 year show that 6.91bn litres of milk were utilised for liquid, 2.3% higher than in the previous year. 273m litres of milk were utilised for yogurt production, an increase of 0.5% on the previous year. Milk utilised for butter and cream increased by 5.2% and 12.2% respectively in 2013/14 compared to 2012/13, to 304m litres for butter production and 295m litres for cream production. More milk was utilised for powder during the 2013/14 year compared with the previous year as well, with 1.26bn litres utilised, a significant increase of 46.5%.
Condensed products also showed an increase on 2012/13 figures for milk utilisation, increasing by 1.5% to 287m litres. Milk utilised for cheese was up, by 1.0% at 3.65bn litres. There was a decrease in stock change and wastage in the 2013/14 year than the year previously, with a reduction of 34m litres, a decrease of 51.6% from the previous year.
|2012/13||2013/14||Change from 2012/13|
|Milk Used for Liquid||6,756||6,912||2.3%|
*Please note data is provisional
*There may be marginal differences in percentages due to figures being rounded up or down.