- Milk Prices & Contracts
- Dairy Sales & Consumption
- Supply & Production
- Processing & Trade
- Farming Data
- Farm Expenses
UK Milk Utilisation
Published 17 February 14
- Milk utilised for liquid stood at 589m litres in December 2013, an increase of 36m litres (6.6%) compared with the same month last year.
- Milk for cheese utilisation was 323m litres in December 2013 which was 36m litres (12.4%) up on December last year.
- Cream utilisation was down by 24.6% on December last year to 17m litres, while yogurt utilisation was down by 13.6% to 16m litres.
- Butter utilisation in December was down on last year's figure by 1.3% at 23m litres.
|Million Litres||Milk Used for Liquid||Milk for Products||Butter||Cheese||Cream||Yogurt|
|% change v Dec 2012||6.6%||20.9%||-1.3%||12.4%||-24.6%||-13.6%|
|% change YTD v 2012||-0.1%||3.6%||15.2%||-1.3%||3.3%||2.2%|
Please note this data is provisional and subject to change
** NOTE that the reported percentage change may differ due to rounding.
Utilisation of Milk 2012/13
In 2012/13 (when compared with the previous year):
- More milk was utilised in the manufacture of butter and cream and more went into stock change and wastage.
- Less milk went into the manufacture of liquid, cheese, condensed milk, powders and yogurts.
Provisional figures for the 2012/13 year show that 6.76bn litres of milk were utilised for liquid, 2.5% lower than in the previous year. 271m litres of milk were utilised for yogurt production, a decrease of 2.6% on the previous year. Milk utilised for butter and cream increased by 7.1% and 3.1% respectively in 2012/13 compared to 2011/12, to 300m litres for butter production and 254m litres for cream production. Less milk was utilised for powder during the 2012/13 year compared with the previous year as well, with 862m litres utilised, a decrease of 20.7%.
Condensed products also showed a decrease on 2011/12 figures for milk utilisation, decreasing by 6.6% to 282m litres. Milk utilised for cheese was down, by 4.1% at 3.61bn litres. There was an increase in wastage in the 2012/13 year than the year previously, with 79m litres being wasted, an increase of 118.2% from the previous year.
|Million Litres||2011/12||2012/13||Change from 2011/12|
|Milk Used for Liquid||6,928||6,755||-2.5%|
*Please note data is provisional
*There may be marginal differences in percentages due to figures being rounded up or down.