- Milk Prices & Contracts
- Dairy Sales & Consumption
- Supply & Production
- Processing & Trade
- Farming Data
- Farm Expenses
UK Milk Utilisation
Published 13 February 15
- Milk utilised for liquid stood at 586m litres in December 2014, a decrease of 5m litres (0.9%) compared with the same month last year. Milk for cheese utilisation was 317m litres in December 2014 which was 30m litres (10.5%) up on December last year.
- Cream utilisation was down by 3.8% on December last year to 26m litres, while yogurt utilisation was up by 11.1% at 18m litres.
- Butter utilisation in December was down on last year's figure by 11.8% at 20m litres.
|Million Litres||Milk Used for Liquid||Milk for Products||Butter||Cheese||Cream||Yogurt|
|% change v Dec 2013||-0.9%||7.6%||-11.8%||10.5%||-3.8%||11.1%|
|% change YTD v 2013||2.4%||12.8%||-3.5%||8.9%||1.1%||-1.5%|
Please note this data is provisional and subject to change
** NOTE that the reported percentage change may differ due to rounding.
Utilisation of Milk 2013/14
In 2013/14 (when compared with the previous year):
- More milk was utilised in the manufacture of liquid, butter, cheese and cream and more went into condensed milk and powders.
- Less milk went into stock change and wastage and yogurt production.
Provisional figures for the 2013/14 year show that 6.92bn litres of milk were utilised for liquid, 2.4% higher than in the previous year. 269m litres of milk were utilised for yogurt production, a decrease of 1.0% on the previous year. Milk utilised for butter and cream increased by 5.7% and 10.7% respectively in 2013/14 compared to 2012/13, to 306m litres for butter production and 291m litres for cream production. More milk was utilised for powder during the 2013/14 year compared with the previous year as well, with 1.26bn litres utilised, a significant increase of 46.5%.
Condensed products also showed an increase on 2012/13 figures for milk utilisation, increasing by 1.7% to 287m litres. Milk utilised for cheese was up, by 1.0% at 3.65bn litres. There was a decrease in stock change and wastage in the 2013/14 year than the year previously, with a reduction of 32m litres, a decrease of 54.2% from the previous year.
|2012/13||2013/14||Change from 2012/13|
|Milk Used for Liquid||6,756||6,920||2.4%|
*Please note data is provisional
*There may be marginal differences in percentages due to figures being rounded up or down.