- Milk Prices & Contracts
- Dairy Sales & Consumption
- Supply & Production
- Processing & Trade
- Farming Data
- Farm Expenses
UK Milk Utilisation
Published 15 April 14
- Milk utilised for liquid stood at 556m litres in February 2014, an increase of 31m litres (5.9%) compared with the same month last year.Milk for cheese utilisation was 296m litres in February 2014 which was 30m litres (11.2%) up on February last year.
- Cream utilisation was down by 4.7% on February last year to 24m litres, while yogurt utilisation was down by 2.3% to 22m litres.
- Butter utilisation in February was up on last year's figure by 23.3% at 23m litres.
|Million Litres||Milk Used for Liquid||Milk for Products||Butter||Cheese||Cream||Yogurt|
|% change v Feb 2013||5.9%||20.4%||23.3%||11.2%||-4.7%||-2.3%|
|% change YTD v 2013||4.8%||22.7%||8.5%||14.0%||4.1%||-5.5%|
Please note this data is provisional and subject to change
** NOTE that the reported percentage change may differ due to rounding.
Utilisation of Milk 2012/13
In 2012/13 (when compared with the previous year):
- More milk was utilised in the manufacture of butter and cream and more went into stock change and wastage.
- Less milk went into the manufacture of liquid, cheese, condensed milk, powders and yogurts.
Provisional figures for the 2012/13 year show that 6.76bn litres of milk were utilised for liquid, 2.5% lower than in the previous year. 272m litres of milk were utilised for yogurt production, a decrease of 2.4% on the previous year. Milk utilised for butter and cream increased by 3.3% and 6.8% respectively in 2012/13 compared to 2011/12, to 289m litres for butter production and 263m litres for cream production. Less milk was utilised for powder during the 2012/13 year compared with the previous year as well, with 860m litres utilised, a decrease of 20.8%.
Condensed products also showed a decrease on 2011/12 figures for milk utilisation, decreasing by 6.6% to 282m litres. Milk utilised for cheese was down, by 3.8% at 3.62bn litres. There was an increase in wastage in the 2012/13 year than the year previously, with 70m litres being wasted, an increase of 94.3% from the previous year.
|Million Litres||2011/12||2012/13||Change from 2011/12|
|Milk Used for Liquid||6,928||6,756||-2.5%|
*Please note data is provisional
*There may be marginal differences in percentages due to figures being rounded up or down.